Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Applesauce

In my continuing attempt to eat healthier, I am always on the lookout for things to snack on. Carrots tend to be what most "experts" suggest in terms of calorie and appetite control.  They are not wrong.  After eating a handful of carrots, you don't really feel like eating anything else, especially if that anything else is another handful of carrots.

I seem to have "returned to my youth" (which sounds better than saying I have regressed) as of late, and become fairly obsessed with one specific healthy alternative.  Applesauce.  Specifically, 48 oz. plastic jugs of Musselman's (regular style, no cinnamon or chunks for me).


Double Trouble

Applesauce is fantastic.  It is a fruit, so is automatically healthy, and has fewer calories than other sweet alternatives (like candy).  According to the nutrition facts, a 1/2 cup serving is under 100 calories, almost all of which come from carbohydrates (sugar).  It even contributes a bit to my suggested daily intake of fiber.

This is all well and good, until you get to me.  Standard serving sizes do not (and need not) apply.  For example, I usually have some applesauce with my PB toast and coffee in the morning.  Then I also bring some in my lunch for the day (or maybe an actual apple if I have any - I also eat these at a bingeworthy pace). I'm guessing I dump at least a full cup of applesauce into my bowl/tupperware, double the serving size on the label. 

And then there are the multiple, nightly passes I make by the fridge.  Most of the time I open, talk myself out of eating something, but then reward myself with a massive gulp - straight from the jar - of applesauce.

Don't judge me.  I live alone, so drinking out of the container is cool in my household, even for non- or semi-liquids.

This rule applies to most things in my fridge, so visitors beware.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you would take musselman's over grandma's homemade applesauce!

    So disappointed!! :)

    -Your favorite cousin in the whole world, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma's applesauce is not available at any of the local grocers. If you want to help get the distributorship rights set up I'd appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete