Thursday, January 27, 2011

Buying Groceries and Cussing in Yiddish

I have already written about my recent affinity toward applesauce. Tonight, while making a quick grocery run at Schnucks*, I noticed something.


Notice anything funny about that picture?  Take a few seconds to look it over, I'll wait.

See? Applesauce is listed specifically on the sign for aisle 3, along with much more general items - canned fruit, canned vegetables, etc.  Why is applesauce special?  Why do corn, green beans, peas, pears, and peaches all get lumped into their respective general categories?  I'll tell you why - because applesauce is awesome.

But simply listing it on its own is not enough.  Schnucks management has deemed applesauce to be so awesome that it is displayed in a noticeably larger font than the other items located in aisle 3. And rightly so.

Was applesauce on my grocery list for tonight? No, it was not.  I already have a stockpile in my pantry. 

Did I buy some more tonight anyway?  Yes, I most certainly did.

*I have a friend who has a friend who is Jewish. Very Jewish.  My friend told me that her friend told her that Schnucks is Yiddish slang for dickhead. A quick google search partially confirms that schnuck is some form of insult in Yiddish. I think of this everytime I buy groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment